March 23, 2009

OneHipMomma Found !

I really didn't mean to go missing like that! There has been much going on, frequented by trips to Children's Hospital clinics, more snow, tests, many coffees with more snow, & "freak-outs" about how-long-does-it-take-to-get-test-results!?! With more snow we were able to find a pair of snow pants that fit over Jackjack's brace. He loves playing in it, even though crawling through the deeper snow banks poses a bit of a problem .... he's not a big fan of snow up the nose!!



We decide to become parents before we fully understand all that is involved. I knew I would love my children ~ what I didn't know was that from that moment forward I would live with my heart outside my body .... watching, celebrating, feeling, enjoying, worrying, loving.  *All* of this is compounded when your child is unwell.  

Jackjack's journey has been joined by our sweet Hannie, who is on a new journey of her own. 

When a very vibrant, healthy, busy, beautiful 7 year old loses weight, sleeps 16 hours out of 24, can't keep up with friends & is even too tired to attend school ..... one starts to worry!  We have been dancing with "the system" since Christmas, rallying for tests, Dr.'s, answers .... acknowledgement. It has been time consuming & at times overwhelming, but I am praying we have some answers soon.

Jackjack has loved having her home - she ends up being an instant (aka. too tired to be unwilling) jungle gym & movie partner. One who is always willing to share her food, pillow, dolls, books and is always ready for a kiss. Besides .... she's much cuter than Momma!

Our next appointment with Dr. 'J' is April 6th. This will be "the" determining xray as to whether or not Jackjack will need an osteotomy ( The Salter osteotomy involves a cut immediately above the hip socket in the pelvic bone, with the insertion of a wedge of bone taken from the adjacent pelvis. The wedge of bone turns down the roof of the hip socket and stabilises it. It is usually held with one or two screws). She will let us know her decision at this appointment &, if needed, a date will be set.  Our last appointment was almost 3 months ago & at that time the bone growth was minimal even after almost a full year of casting and full time brace. Needless to say, I have a small pit in my belly that grows a bit bigger as every week goes by.

We are continually blessed with a strong support system of friends, family & other parents who have experienced & fully understand what we are going through at Hipbaby . I cannot begin to imagine surviving any of this without!

As women & as parents we have so much to offer others with similar life experiences. I was reminded again, how much we have to share, last week on a rare trip out. Another HipMomma, who's sweet boy had just been diagnosed, approached me full of questions. I am so happy she did .... we talked non-stop for 1/2 an hour ~ blocking cart traffic no less LOL! I have thought alot about our conversation & decided that instead of a TGIF post I'd start a HDIF or .... How Do I Friday's.

With every stage of CDH comes new questions, fears & most of all "How in the world do I ...?". I'm hoping this will help, I know that this would have helped us in the beginning & even as we possibly enter another surgery! Please let me know, HipMomma's, if there is anything special I can post for you & I'll do my darndest to help ....

"GROW, BONE, GROW"

XO,
Steph 

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Hi Stephanie,

Thanks so much for your note. I'm pretty sure Natalie is going to need a brace but at least we'll be able to see those little legs.

I hope you find some answers about your daughter soon. I hope she's feeling well and in good spirits - same goes for Jack (and you)!

Take care,

Wendy