August 25, 2009

And the squeak goes on ....



Jackjack continues to amaze us every day !!

His surgery on Friday (to have pins removed from his hip after a pelvic osteotomy done May 1) was the "easiest" one yet. He had no allergic reaction at all, which is both very, very good and not so very good, as we still don't know what caused such a scary reaction after his osteotomy.

Having a child need surgery, whether it's 1 or multiple, is scary. Whether it's open heart surgery (which we've been dealt, as well) or ear tubes ... it is scary. The last couple of surgeries Jackjack needed, I had started to almost be immune to the fear I had felt previously and that scared me too. This surgery though, I was scared ... very scared. Not knowing what caused his allergic reaction and knowing that Dr. Joughin was worried as well, scared me. When we were taken into the holding room though, I felt calm, everything would be all right. Dr. Carter, who had helped Jackjack so, so much our last stay recognized him, came, knelt down next to him, and started playing with him. At that moment, when she recognized him, knew who he was, knew who we were, I knew, Jack would be more than all right. Dr. Carter was able to be in with Jack throughout his surgery and watch over him as she had previously. I knew he would be all right.

We are now 4 days post surgery and Jackjack is doing fantastic. He has some local pain and is dragging his left leg a bit more than he has, but he has needed no pain medication since Saturday .... he is doing fantastic !! We go back to see Dr. Joughin after her much deserved holiday in 2 weeks to see how his hip is doing and until then ..... the squeak goes on !!

XO,
Steph


1 comment:

Bellismom said...

Hey Steph, I just read the comment you left for me on MckMama's forum. Thank you for the kind words and prayers. I was looking around your blog and wanted to let you know that my daughter was born with Larsen's Syndrome which is a connective tissues disorder. She was born with dislocated knees, feet malformations, spinal instability, and you guessed it...dislocated hips! We so far have had only two surgeries (both feet and one knee and then her fusion a few weeks ago). As you read the second fusion will come shortly and her ortho believes she will need at least one more surgery on her feet. I totally know how you feel having to go through multiple surgeries! Praying for you and your little ones.